The Spina Bifida Foundation (SBF) – a not-for-profit organisation formed by Medical Professionals and parents of Spina Bifida Children who have been involved in the care and upbringing of Spina Bifida patients in India for more than a decade.
Since 1997, we – a group of doctors, parents and well wishers have been consistently working for the cause of improving the lives of Spina Bifida (SB) patients and for preventing SB.
The seeds of SBF were sown almost 15 years ago by Dr. santosh karmarkar & his colleagues from Wadia Children’s hospital when they encounterd children with spina bifida and formed an informal support group to help such kids and their families. The group slowly expanded with more families and doctors supporting the cause.
In 2006 the first Indian Spina Bifida Conference of Parents, Well-wishers and Doctors was held in Mumbai. This was attended by leading Spina Bifida experts and Epidemiologists and Health officials from all over the world.
This conference gave the impetus for the formal launch of Spina Bifida Foundation in 2009.
The Foundation now has four main activities – Helping patients and families for their medical treatment and rehabilitation, The Parents Support group, the Doctors wing for Continuing Medical Education and the Campaign for Prevention of Spina Bifida.
The SBF is also a member of the International Federation of Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus.
Join hands with the Spina Bifida Foundation (SBF)
Lets get rid of the scourge of Spina Bifida
• Helped more than 400 patients get the correct and complete Medical treatment and rehabilitation irrespective of whether they could afford the costs or not.
• Held Medical and counselling camps in and outside of Mumbai.
• Arranged lectures to diverse groups such as the Rotary club of New Mumbai, young women from elite Mumbai colleges and the Dai community in Kutch to create awareness about Spina Bifida and its prevention.
• Organised Medical updates & conducted CME on Spina Bifida and its management for the Medical Fraternity.
• Launched a nation-wide campaign for Spina Bifida prevention called ‘GO FOLIC.’
The Spina Bifida Foundation is registered as Charitable Organisation with Charity Commissioner (Regn No. E 25566)(Donations to SBF are exempt from Income Tax
For more information on Spina Bifa Foundation visit their website at http://www.spinabifidafoundation.org/
News Letter of Spina Bifida Foundaiton
This issue of our Newsletter, is being released on the occasion of the launch of a National Prevention & awareness campaign ‘GO FOLIC’ – for which Meyer Vitabiotics (a leading manufacturer of Vitamins) has joined hands with our Foundation.